Sunday, January 3, 2010

Nursery Rhymes

I read somewhere that babies like rhymes so I've been trying to remember all the old nursery rhymes for H.  Unfortunately, I need to brush up on my rhyming.  They all just run together in my head, kind of like - "Hickory dickory dock, the mouse ran up the clock, the cow fell down and broke his crown, and they couldn't put humpty together again."  I knew this about myself before H was born, so I bought a nursery rhyme book to brush up, but I clearly haven't studied hard enough yet. 
H loves his moblie - and so do I, turning it on in the middle of the night usually buys me a few more minutes of sleep.  One of the songs it plays is the 'Hush Little Baby' song.  I listen to this song (just the music) play at least 10 times a day and H really likes it when I sing to him.  I usually make up words to this song because I can't get past the second line.  I thought I would share with you some of the songs I make up for him, this morning's went something like this.... (by the way, this song is like the ultimate bribe song, so once he gets older and can understand what I'm saying I will quit singing this - for multiple reasons)
Hush little baby, don't say a word, Mommy's gonna buy you a mocking bird
if that mocking bird don't sing, mommy's gonna buy you a diamond ring.
If that diamond ring don't shine, mommy's gonna buy you a ball of twine.
If that ball of twine won't roll, momma' gonna buy you a fishing pole.
If that fishing pole won't fish, momma's gonna buy you a silver dish.
If that silver dish gets tarnished, momma's gonna buy you some picture varnish.
If that picture varnish smells bad, momma's gonna buy you an English lad.
If that English lad ain't funny, momma's gonna buy you a fuzzy bunny.
If that fuzzy bunny gets lost, momma's gonna buy you some green moss.
If that green moss turns brown, momma's gonna buy you an Irish town.
If that Irish town is mean, momma's gonna buy you a fairy queen.
If that fairy queen is fat, momma's gonna buy you a smelly cat.
If that smelly cat gets old, momma's gonna buy you a jell-o mold.
If that jell-o mold won't jiggle, momma's gonna buy you ....something that wiggles?
I got lost about there and thankfully H went back to sleep.

I've been known to get a little more colorful in these songs, ( I mean it is the first rhyming thing that comes to me) but I'll keep that between me and H.  Mother Goose must have been a lot  quicker on her feet than me!

No comments:

Post a Comment