Thursday, January 15, 2015

Verse 2

Time for Verse 2 of the scripture memory challenge.  The goal is to memorize two verses per month so at the end of 2015 we will have memorized 24 verses.  I came across this verse during some reading last week and knew it was one I needed written on my heart.


" O God, You are my God; I shall seek you earnestly, my soul thirsts for you, my flesh yearns for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water."  Psalm 63:1 - English Standard Version

This verse is vital to true soul satisfaction.  I have found/created 'God substitutes' at various points in my life, not intentionally, just through exaulting and relying on my husband, friends, or family to make me happy, to understand me, to support me.  None of those things are inherently bad, but when I quit looking to God to meet my needs and instead placed that burden on other people, I found that ultimately, each one left me disappointed, hurt and frustrated. Why?  Because they could never love me enough, understand me enough, encourage/support me enough - I always felt some twinge of human disappointment.

Was this their failure or lack of caring?  No, it is a reflection of the deep desire in our souls, created by the Creator, to be fully known and fully loved... and yet, we are surrounded by imperfect beings that are not capable of that kind of perfection.  I am not capable of perfect love - I can be short tempered, forgetful, self-centered, busy.  But, there is One who loves perfectly, who will never disappoint, never turn away, who knows and understands us more fundamentally than we know ourselves; that is our Heavenly Father and none was meant to ever replace Him.

So, this is my reminder to press into the one who satisfies fully and not place that burden on other relationships that were not intended to fill me up.  This is where we find fulfillment and lasting satisfaction.  It also frees us up to appreciate and enjoy our human relationships with friends and family without unrealistic expectations that they will meet our every need and make us happy all the time, because that is just not reality.  When I'm feeling disatisfied, disconnected, or easily frustrated with others, that is usually my cue that I'm looking in the wrong places and I need to quit trying to find water in the desert and instead go to the spring.

What verse is on your heart?  Share your memory verse in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment