Monday, January 5, 2015

Verse 1

This year I am participating in Beth Moore's Scripture Memory Challenge and inviting my favorite 7th and 8th graders to join me in memorizing two scripture passage each month.  I am going to post on here at the beginning and middle of each month the verses I will be memorizing and why.  Those joining me in the challenge are welcome to leave a comment sharing the verse you will be memorizing as well.  You can choose the same verse or a different verse that is meaningful to you.  Sharing with each other is not only a way to help hold each other accountable, but is also encouraging to see what Scripture is meaningful to our Sisters in Christ.

So, verse 1.  It is actually 2 verses, but you can choose to just do the first one if you want to use this passage as well.  I am using the English Standard Version, but feel free to use whatever version you have or like best.

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.'  Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. (10)  For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities.  For when I am weak, then I am strong."  2 Corinthians 12:9-10.

I am also keeping a small journal where I m writing my verses down.  I think something about physically writing out the scripture passages helps with the memorization.  So, I encourage you girls to write down your verses and keep your journal with you to help with memorizing.  FYI, I will be bringing journals to church next Sunday for each of you =)

So, why did I choose this passage?  Well, I frequently need to be reminded that it is not my own ability or awesomeness that makes anything good happen, it is by the grace of God.  Even more, no matter what I am facing, His grace is enough.... especially when I feel like I am at the end of myself and I can't do anything else... great!  That is exactly where He will meet me if I will turn to Him, embrace my own weakness, and say 'Help!'  I chose to include verse 10, because it talks specifically about embracing weakness and hardship - things our human nature rejects.  I know from experience though that when facing hardship and calamity, fighting it makes it worse, embracing and allowing brokenness is where growth begins.  Praying for my girls, that you will join me on this journey and we will get the privilege of encouraging one another and growing together!  So, what verse are you choosing?  Let me know in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment