Tuesday, March 9, 2010

H's new dresser!

Well, it has taken me longer than I wanted to get my final project finished.... so I thought I'd show you my progress. I decided I wanted to cover the front of the dresser drawers with fun fabrics so brighten up the room a little. Since the dresser had 1 smaller drawer and the bottom 3 were the same, I picked 2 coordinating fabrics.

Here's the before picture

First I had to sand the dresser so I could paint it. I found a pretty brown Ooops paint at Lowes that was just $1.

After I sanded it I painted it, but I didn't take a picture of that part.

Because this dresser had grooves in it I had to fill them with putty so that the fronts of the drawers would be flat. Oh, and I took the hardware of the dresser and bought some new hardware to replace it so I also filled those holes with putty.

Then I had to sand the drawers so that there would be a little texture to the drawer fronts. Then I cut my fabric panels to be about 1/2 inch on all sides of the drawer.

Then it was time to soak the fabric panels in liquid starch. After they were soaked through I put the panel on the top of the drawer and smoothed out all of the bubbles using a wallpaper smoother.

They will dry overnight and then I'll cut the excess fabric off and cut holes in the fabric for the new hardware. I plan to have this finished by the end of the week. So, after pictures to come!

1 comment:

  1. LOVING this! Can't wait to see the final product! The suspense is killing me!